The team narrowly missed qualifying at the state tournament (by one spot) and ended ranked 15th out of 59 teams in NC. However, the team was able to secure an invitation due to openings that occur when teams are unable to attend.
CA will join 17 other NC teams competing at the FRC (FIRST Robotics Competition) level. The championships include all four levels of FIRST Robotics: FRC, FTC (FIRST Tech Challenge – CA's JV teams), FLL (FIRST Lego League – CA's MS teams), and FLL Jr. (grades 2-5), and is a true STEM festival, attracting and hosting teams from all over the world.
The students attending are:
- Co-captain Caleb Norfleet '17 (driver)
- Co-captain Thomas Hoffmann '18 (drive coach)
- Ben Humphries '18 (driver)
- Vincent Wang '18 (pilot)
- Shaan Dhawan '18 (human player)
- Josh Pullen '18 (safety captain)
- Shane Hoffman '18 (media/branding)
- Robert Schellenberger '18 (mascot, scouting)
- Ross Matton '18 (drive coach/human player)
- Cameron Fisher '19 (scouting captain)
- Amy Chang '19 (scouting)
- Ethan Norfleet '20 (scouting)
- Chris Toy '18 (scouting)
- Cameron Latta '17 (scouting)
- Scott Matton '20 (outreach, safety)
Liam Carriker ('17) is going to the championships with his non-CA team, the Tundrabots, that competes at the FTC (our JV) level.
The Cary Academy Fund and specific robotics fundraising helps support great opportunities like this for our students. If you'd like to contribute, please see the Advancement Department.