Seventy five CA Upper School and Middle School students traveled to UNC for the NC German Day Competition on March 21. More than 500 students from around the state took part in contests such as: Extemp Speaking, Poetry Recitation, skits, Singing, Karaoke, Culture Bowl, Scavenger Hunt, etc.
The NC German Day Competition is organized by the NC Chapter of the AATG (American Association of Teachers of German) and was hosted this year by UNC. Cary Academy won second place overall, with the following winners.
- Overall School: Cary Academy, 2nd place
- T-Shirt Design: Teo Feliu, 2nd place
- Culture Bowl Level 2: 1st Place Ryan Chen, Matthew Crow, Finn Kerns
- Culture Bowl Level 3: 3rd Place David Go, Parker Perkins, Sheridan Page
- Poetry Recitation Level 2: 3rd Place Owen Taffar
- Poetry Recitation Level 3: 3rd Place Kendyl George
- Poetry Recitation Heritage Level: 1st Place: Addie Esposito, 2nd Place: Matthew Modi
- Extemporaneous Speaking Level 2: 2nd Place Max Feliu, 3rd Place Koa Kaliebe
- Extemporaneous Speaking Level 3: 1st Place Claire Ferris
- Karaoke 1st Place "Weltmeister sein": Kyle Murphy, Rexy Brundige, Sara Martin, Mary Esposito, Eva Hammer
- Karaoke 2nd Place "Einmal um die Welt" Max Feliu, Koa Kaliebe, Matthew Crow, Kenny Eheman, Xavier deSouza
- Voice with Instrumental Level 1/2: "Heidenröslein" Instrumentalists : Owen Taffar, Sebastian de Souza Singers: Christian Herrera, Evan O “Connell,James Joof, Mordecai Mengesteab, Nora Leuchtmann, Adora Koonce, Lily McFall
- Voice with Instrumental Level 3: 1st Place "80 Millionen": Dorrit Eisenbeis, Hannah George, Taylor Weber, Katie Grush
- Voice with Instrumental Level 3 3rd Place: "Zusammen": Max Feliu, Koa Kaliebe, Xavier deSouza, Matthew Crow, Kenny Eheman
Addie and Matthew´s Poetry Level H poems are posted on the UNC German Day website. They wrote and performed in the heritage level contest. The judges were so impressed that they requested that the poems be posted for the first time following the competition.